Prof. Rory McGreal – UNESCO/Commonwealth of Learning Chairholder in Open Educational Resources
9615 96A St. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Edmonton AB URL: https://unescochair.athabascau.ca/
CANADA T6C 3Z8
Tel.: +1 (780) 231-0596 Work: +1 (855) 807-0756
2011-present Professor, Centre for Distance Education,
Director of the Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute
Co-Editor of the International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning
UNESCO/Commonwealth of Learning/International Council for Open and Distance
Learning Chairholder in Open Educational Resources
2001-2011 Associate Vice President Research, Athabasca University, Athabasca, AB.
1993-2001 Executive Director, TeleEducation NB Télééducation & CEO, NB Distance Education Network Inc.,
1990-1992 Distance education school liaison supervisor, Contact North/Contact Nord, Sudbury, N. Ontario.
1989-1990 Professional officer, Memorial University Faculty Association, St. John’s, NF.
1988-1989 Enseignant, Basic & Technical ESL program, Polyvalente des Sources CS Baldwin-Cartier, Québec.
1986-1988 Coordinator of technical English Second Language (ESL) program and Computer Assisted Lang. Learning (CALL), Univ. of Bahrain, Isa Town, Bahrain.
1984-1986 Lecturer in technology (ESL). U of Petroleum & Minerals (King Fahd Univ.), Saudi Arabia.
1983-1984 ESL Language Laboratory coordinator. Concordia U., Montreal.
1981-1983 Chair of ESL for Technology, National Youth Service, Seychelles, Indian Ocean.
1979-1981 Président, Syndicat des enseignants d’Eastern Quebec, Quebec City.
1977-1979 High school teacher (aboriginals/francophones), Schefferville, QC; animateur for McGill telecourses.
1969-1972 Itinerant traveller/labourer in Canada, Ireland, and Europe.
European Distance Education Network (EDEN) Senior Fellow October, 2016
Canadian Network for Leadership in Education Award, from the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education, Waterloo, ON, May, 2016
Lifetime Achievement Award, Open Education Consortium, Krakow, Poland, April, 2016
Best Presentation Award Intl. Conf. On Computer Research and Development, Ho Chi Minh City, 2015
Open Courseware Consortium Award for the OER Knowledge Cloud 2014
International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) Chair in OER 2013
Commonwealth of Learning Chair in Open Educational Resources 2011 (renewed 2014 -2018)
UNESCO Chair in Open Educational Resources 2010 (renewed 2014-2019)
Int’l E-Learning Award – Mobile Learning, Int’l Conf on Interactive Collaborative Learning, 2011 (team)
Alberta Science and Research Authority Infrastructure Award 2004
New Opportunities Fund Award, Canadian Foundation for Innovation, 2003
Charles & Mildred Wedemeyer award – Distance Education Practitioner Aug. 2002
Elearning Magazine Recognizing the Champions, April 2002
West Virginia Workforce Training Board Honorary Member October 2002
CANARIE Awards outstanding contributions to the elearning program1999 & 2002
TeleLearning Research Network NCE Award 2000
Stellar speaker: Council for Advancement and Support of Education, 2000
Killam Scholarship, Concordia University, 1983
1992-1999 PhD from the School of Computer and Information Sciences, Nova Southeastern U (Computing Technology in Education). Doctoral dissertation: TeleEducation NB: A systems analysis of a province-wide distributed distance learning network.
1983-1985 Cours (3) les ordinateurs et la formation TéléUniversité du Québec.
1983-1984 Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics-TESOL – Instructional Design) Concordia University, Montreal.
Thesis: A Curriculum development project for the National Youth Service, Seychelles, Indian Ocean
1980-1981 Certificat: Français pour les non-francophones, Université Laval, Québec.
1977-1980 Certificate in Second Language Teaching, McGill.
1977 Certificate in Russian for Teachers, Pushkin Inst., Moscow, USSR.
1975-1977 Bachelor of Education & Master of Arts (History) -incomplete, Dalhousie, Halifax.
1973-1975 Bachelor of Arts (Joint Honours) Russian & History, McGill.
1972-1973 First Year at University of Waterloo.
Miao, F., Mishra, S., & McGreal, R. (Eds.)(2016). Open Educational Resources: Policy, costs and transformation Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0024/002443/244365e.pdf
McGreal, R., (2013). Guide to Open Educational Resources. Commonwealth of Learning, Retrieved from http://www.col.org/resources/publications/
McGreal, R., Kinutha, W., & Marshall, S. (Eds.) ( 2013). Open Educational Resources: Innovation, Research and Practice. Perspectives on Open and Distance Learning Retrieved from http://www.col.org/resources/publications/Pages/detail.aspx?PID=447
Graf, S., Lin, F., Kinshuk, & McGreal, R. (Eds.). (2012). Intelligent and adaptive learning systems: Technology enhanced support for learners and teachers. Hershey PA: IGI Global. [
Selected refereed Journal Articles
- McGreal, R., Anderson, T., & Conrad, D. (2015). Open Educational Resources in Canada 2015. IRRODL, 16(5). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/2404
- McGreal, R., & Chen, N.-S. (2011). AUPress: A Comparison of an Open Access University Press with Traditional Presses. Educational Technology & Society, 14(3), 231 – 239. Retrieved from http://www.ifets.info/journals/14_3/19.pdf [90%]
- McGreal, R. (2009). A case study of an international e-learning training division: Meeting objectives. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 10 (6). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/619/1430
- McGreal, R., & Anderson, T. (2007). E-learning in Canada. International Journal of Distance Education Technologies, 5(1), 1 – 6. [50%]
- McGreal, R. (2006). Mobile technologies and the future of global education [Electronic Version]. Open Praxis, 1(1). Retrieved from http://www.openpraxis.com/ [Reprint from ICDE 2005, Delhi]
- McGreal, R. (2005, August). Copyright wars and learning objects. International Journal of Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 2(3), 151 -163.
- McGreal, R. (2004, November).Stealing the goose: Copyright and learning. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 5(3). Retrieved from http://www.irrodl.org/content/v5.3/mcgreal.html
- McGreal, R. (2004, September 4). Learning objects: A practical definition. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning (IJITDL), 9(1). Retrieved from http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Sep_04/article02.htm [Adapted]
- McGreal, R. (1995). A heterogeneous distributed database system for distance education networks. The American Journal of Distance Education, 9 (1), 27-43.
- McGreal, R. (1992). The SCAN programme: Bringing distance education to isolated native communities on the James Bay coast 1989-1991. Distance Education, 13 (2), 298-308.
R. McGreal has been a keynote speaker, main presenter or workshop leader in more than 60 countries. Below are examples of recent activities.
Invited participant. Canadian Commission for UNESCO Chairs meeting and AGM, Montreal, May 2017
Invited Speaker. OER: An International Perspective. ORION THINK Conf. Toronto, May, 2017
Keynote: Why OER? Canadian Network for Innovation in Education Conf. Banff AB, May, 2017
Keynote: Why OER? Alberta OER Summit, Edmonton, May, 2017
Invited participant. Hewlett Foundation Meeting, King City ON, April 2017.
Invited presenter, Why OER? Renison University College,, Waterloo ON. April, 2017
Invited presenter: OER for the Future, Norquest College, Edmonton, April, 2017
Keynote: OER for the Future, Maskwacis Cultural College, Alberta, December 2016
Invited Speaker? Why OER? Universidad Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico January, 2017
Workshops on OER, Univ. of North Texas, & Univ. of Texas, Arlington, Dec. 2016
Invited speaker: International Council for Open and Distance Education Presidents’ Summit, Sydney, Nov. 2016
Keynote: Seminar de REL, Festival d’Automne du Numérique, UNT, France nov. 2016
Keynote: Premier seminar de REL, Univ. de Sousse, Tunisia, Oct. 2016
Workshop on OER: Open U. UK in Scotland, Edinburgh, September 2016
Invited Speaker: Lecture series Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU), Islamabad, Pakistan, Aug 2016 (online)
Keynote:International Seminar on ODL Policy formation. AIOU Islamabad Pakistan, May, 2016 (online)
Keynote: Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay, Feb 2016
Keynote: Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay, Feb 2016
Keynote: Catholic Universidad de Chile, December 2015
All session by Prof. Rory McGreal – UNESCO/Commonwealth of Learning Chairholder in Open Educational Resources
Moderator: Prof. Tian Belawati – Universitas Terbuka